While traveling, you will find many unexpected situations. Below is a list with some advice learned the hard way. The list is open and any suggestions are welcome. Also, as I will think of more tips and tricks, I will add more to it. Hope it helps!
- Pack light. When traveling, the baggage may become a burden
- Bring a credit card with you, not just a debit/credit card. Some countries deny the combo card
- Always know when the last train/bus/tram is coming and plan to take the previous one
- Carry your backpack in front when in trains and small and crowded spaces
- Protect your passport with your life
- Divide your money in two. Take on part with you, and leave one at the hostel/hotel, well hidden in a secret pocket
- Learn how to say ‘thank you’ in the country you are visiting
- When going on a tuktuk or a motorbike taxi, always have small money to pay for your journey. The driver may leave without giving you your exchange
- Always buy travel insurance
- Keep printed and digital copies of important documents such as: flights, credit cards, accommodation confirmations, passport and leave a copy with a family member or close friend
- Pack an extra change of clothes in the cabin baggage in case the other bags get lost
- Stick to small souvenirs
- Take with you the small samples of soap and shampoo from the hotels you stay at. You will need them later
- Always have a pen in your bag
Disclosure: Please note that this post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only recommend companies and products that I trust and the income goes to keeping this website running. Thanks!