Hoi An is the perfect place for shopping addicts. Are you looking for gorgeous tailor-made dresses, amazing shoes, leather bags or handicrafts? Search no more and welcome to paradise!
Also known for its colorful lanterns and charm, Hoi An has become one of the main attractions of Vietnam (read about the main Hoi An attractions here). There is no way to leave this little town without buying something.
Strolling in the Hoi An old town can be full of temptations but the biggest temptation of them all are the prices. Nothing can beat the prices of Hoi An local merchants. Therefore, if you are looking for bargains, I have compiled the complete list of things to buy in Hoi An with prices.
1. Before digging deeper into the things you can buy, I want to share with you my biggest advice for shopping in Hoi An and Vietnam, in general: always negotiate! Most of the times, when the vendors will see that you are a foreigner, they will ask for double the price. A good starting point for negotiation would be to offer half of what they are asking. Also, if you are looking for affordable prices do not hesitate to step out of the touristy area.
2. Most of the shops provide shipping to your home country for the goods purchased, in case you don’t have enough space in your luggage. There are two shipping options: either you choose fast shipping companies like DHL or by container (cheapest option – about $40 – but it takes about 6 months for the package to arrive, depending on where you are living).
-> AWESOME things to do in Hoi An:
- My Son Archeological Site tour from Hoi An
- Cooking and basket boat tour in Hoi An
- Day tour to Da Nang
- Cham Islands day tour
Things to buy in Hoi An and gift ideas
1. Leather bags
I totally fell in love with the leather bags in Hoi An. The designs are amazing and the quality is the best. You can choose from different styles: hand bags, luggage and laptop bags.
Leather hand bag & laptop bag: 1,800,000 VND – $80
Leather luggage: 2,800,000 VND – $120
Shoes are a girl’s best friend, right? Well, in Hoi An, shoes are a guy’s best friend too because the designs are great! Moreover, if you can’t find your dream shoe, you can always order some custom-made. Choose the design, the leather and in 1-2 days your shoes are ready!
Shoes: starting with 675,000 VND – $35
Hoi An is also called the City of Lanterns for a good reason. With so many designs to choose from, you cannot leave this place without buying a beautifully decorated lantern for your living room. Choose the size, the pattern and don’t forget to negotiate the price!
If you really love lanterns, you can make your own! Book a lantern making class and create your own lantern!
Small lantern – 80.000 VND – $3,5
Big lantern – 100,000 VND/ 120,000 VND – $4,5/ $5,5
And here we are, the reason why Hoi An is so popular among fashion lovers. There are many tailors to choose from, but I would recommend choosing one that is out of the touristy area since the prices will be lower. You can have your dream dress, skirt or suit, tailored made for you for a reasonable price in Hoi An. Moreover, your dream clothes will be ready in just 24h. How cool is that? Shopping has never been easier.
Suit for men: 2,300,000-6,800,000 VND – $100-$300
Shirt for men: 340,000VND – $15
Dress: starting with 450,000 VND – $20
Skirt: 450,000 VND – $20
5. Non La
The traditional Vietnamese conic hat is an iconic symbol of Vietnam and a must have item. Apart from being extremely photogenic (check out the top 6 photo spots in Hoi An here), the Non La is also very useful for protecting you from the sun. What few people know is that the Non La is mostly worn by women. Men wear a slightly different design.
If you are wondering what to buy in Hoi An, you should definitely get a Non La!
Non La: 25,000 VND – $1
6. Round straw bags
These round, handmade straw bags are too cute to be true and they can easily match any summer outfit. It was so hard not to buy one, but since I am backpacking for a long period of time, shopping is not an option for me (insert sad face here).
Small round bag: 200,000 VND – $9
Big round bag: 300,000 VND – $13
Are you looking for some jewelry to match your new clothes, shoes and bags? You can find a wide range of jewelry (both from silver/ gold or plastic/ other materials) in Hoi An: rings, necklaces, bracelets and charms. If you are looking for cheaper options, take a stroll in the Hoi An Night Market and you will not be disappointed.
It really depends on what kind of jewelry you are looking for. Just don’t forget to negotiate the price!
If you are an art lover, Hoi An is your happy place. There are many shops which sell paintings, photography and sewn paintings depicting the daily life of Vietnamese people. By far, my favorites were the hand sewn paintings. You can even see how they are made if you are in the old city.
It is really hard to put a price tag on art since the prices vary a lot depending on dimension and style of the artwork.
9. Home decor
There are so many home decor shops in Hoi An to choose from! Some sell traditional Vietnamese items while others have more Ikea-style designs. Just stroll around the old city and you can find pretty much anything from glasses to bed covers and chairs.
Soap dispenser (hand painted): 250,000 VND – $11
Glass: 30,000 – $1,5
10. Scarves and ties
Giving the fact that Hoi An was once part of the famous maritime silk road, it is easy to see why so many accessories are made of silk, including scarves and ties. If you are thinking of gift ideas for the loved ones back home, a scarf or a tie would be just perfect.
Scarf/ tie: 120,000 VND – $5,5
Where to stay in Hoi An
I’ve spent two weeks in Hoi An and I’ve searched for the best accommodation around the city. Here are my recommendations:
- Budget – Vi Khoa Villa – excellent location, extremely clean, good breakfast, friendly staff
- Mid-budget – Laluna Hotel – near the city center, comfortable & clean rooms, beautiful pool
- Luxury – Lasenta Hotel – infinity pool towards the rice fields, luxurious rooms, excellent service & breakfast included
Hoi An is full of pretty things to buy and amazing gift ideas at reasonable prices. Honestly, I wanted to buy so many clothes and bags but unfortunately, I didn’t have enough space in my backpack. However, I am determined to go back and do some serious Hoi An shopping. Let me know in the comments what would you like to buy from this amazing city.
May the travel bug bite you!
More about Vietnam:
- Top 6 Instagrammable places in Hoi An – click here
- What not to miss in Hoi An – click here
- One day itinerary to Da Nang – click here
- An alternative half day trip from Hue – click here
Pin it for later!