Throughout the years, I have traveled quite a lot: many countries and countless cities and hotels. However, I have never been to a place like Big Berry before.
When traveling, getting to know the local culture is one of my main objectives. Wherever I go, I am always looking for opportunities to meet some of the local people and discover their customs but this is not an easy task. It is quite hard to find a person who would cook for you local food or tell you about the local traditions. Not to mention, it is almost impossible to visit local farmers or producers of any kind. In the end, this is what makes you feel what a certain culture is really like.
If this resonates with you, the good news is that there is a new travel concept which took birth in Slovenia, Bela Krajina. The Big Berry Luxury Landscape Resort is a place like no other. Perfect for couples or families with children, Big Berry is the place to go if you are looking for something different than the regular tourist attractions. Leaving aside the awesome houses, here you have the chance to experience a new kind of travel: a complete experience of the local Slovenian culture.
How? You might ask. Big Berry offers you a custom made holiday. You can choose from a range of activities the ones that interest you the most. From eating with locals and learning how to cook the awesome pogača to visiting local farmers and rafting.
Let me show you how a day of your holiday at Big Berry can look like.
1. Getting to know the place
After checking in, your first interaction will be with your home. Depending on how many people you are, you can get a 2, 4 or 6 private home. And the best part? You will have a jacuzzi right on the porch.
You will see that Big Berry is all about taking a break from your day to day life. You can enjoy one of their outdoor beds where you can relax in a hot day or even prepare a barbecue.
If you are an active person and you like to play sports you can gather your friends and play volleyball just a few meters from your home.
When you will wake up in the morning, a basket full of local products will be waiting for you. You can choose from: milk, cheese, salami, eggs, pogača, yogurt, apple jiuice, honey, fruits, vegetables and many others. All bio. Can you picture a better breakfast?
3. Morning activities
After you ate all that goodies and your belly is happy, you can decide what you want to do next. Here are some options:
- maybe you want to visit the farmer and see the source of your milk and cheese. Well, guess what? You can totally do this at farm Ekološka Kmetija Totter! You can meet the cute cows and goats and even feed them some hay.
- did you like the pogača at breakfast? You can learn how to cook it from a certified pogača cook at the Home Bakery Sraif.
- are you a chocolate lover? You can see how chocolate is actually made at Berryshka. Samo Kenda, the founder of this chocolate heaven can show you around and at the end of the tour, you will have the chance to taste some of their products. Hint: they also produce liqueur and starting with this year Berryshka will also produce whiskey.
- did you know that there are tens if not hundreds of types of oil and each type is good for a certain illness? At Oljarna Pecaric, you can taste grape, apricot, peanuts and many other oils. I have to admit that I have bought 5 bottles; maybe my allergies will go away.
Now it’s time for lunch. There are so many tasty options that it is really hard to choose!
- the best fish in the Bela Krajina area is cooked at at Homestead farm Zupančič. The owners, who also live there, will catch it for you just minutes before cooking it. Also, with a bit of good luck you might get the chance to see the black cave salamander, a creature that only lives in this area.
- another amazing place for lunch is Restaurant Muller. Their mushroom soup is absolutely amazing!
- last but not least, you can choose to have lunch at Gostišče Veselič. No matter what you choose, you will not regret it.
5. Evening activities
Depending on your mood you can choose a relaxing activity for the afternoon or a more adventurous one.
- do you like rafting? What about going rafting between Croatia and Slovenia? I have tried it for the first time at Big Berry, with Kolpa Adventures. It was quite hard to stay dry but it was an amazing experience and I will totally try it again.
- what about paddling? You can take a boat from Big Berry and enjoy a relaxing evening alone or with your partner. What can be more romantic than paddling between two countries?
- you can also choose the spend the evening in nature and visit the source of the turquoise Krupa river.
6. A bit of fun
After all these activities, what can be better than the traditional rakija? After all, a bit of fun never hurt anybody! You can try the herbs rakija or the chili rakija if you are brave enough at Family Farm Domačija Kuzma. And what goes best with rakija? Yes, pogača made from flour processed right here at the water mill.
Big Berry is a truly unique place. For me, it felt like camping but taken to another level of luxury. I have never imagined that there is a place where I could have the opportunity to get immersed in the local cultures like I did at Big Berry. This place stole my heart and I will definitely come back.
All this, thanks to the awesome Big Berry team! Special thanks go to Maria and Ivan.
May the travel bug bite you!